Monday, May 9, 2011

A Night Out On The Town

 This is Jamye & Darci - our travel mates.  They have an ADORABLE little son.
 On our way to dinner, Fekado drove us around showing us sights.  Hannah Grace fell asleep in the van so Andy stayed back with her.  We stopped at the Hilton to see how dignataries lived when they stayed in Addis.  Oh, it's a different world.  It's crazy to see this amazingly beautiful place & then to look out you see this:


 We ate at a traditional Ethiopian restaurant called the Yub Abyssinia.  It was really fun.  No, I am not a big fan of Ethiopian food (I know, shocker).  I found the injera to be very bitter which surprised me.  I was even more surprised to find out that beans weren't a staple in their diet.  From pics I had seen, I was totally prepared for that.  Their food is very spicy which I guess gets offset by the injera. 
Above is a pic of the main light fixture in front of the stage.  It has the tribal flags all around it - too cool.  Yes, I was more intrigued by the atmosphere than I was the food.
 Around 8:00 they started a show, which lasted over 4 hours.  They would sing a song then dance a song.  This alternating schedule lasted the entire time.  I don't know how they did it.  They would tell us from which area of Ethiopia that each song originated.
 Darci having her hands washed - a huge custom for meals
Then we eat with the plates in our laps because you don't sit around a large dining table.  In stead in sit around a very small table - smaller than most people's night tables at their beds.  (At least the custom doesn't have you in the floor.)
 Popcorn is served with the coffee ceremony.  We didn't partake in the ceremony that night, but Hannah Grace managed to get plenty of popcorn from the ladies - yes she has learned how to charm even the waitresses.
 HG sharing with Fekado
This song was originated from Ellie-Joy's area.  I loved the shiny green costumes.

I have some videos that I hope to add soon from this night.  I have to get them off the video camera.  The stamina these people have is incredible.

1 comment:

  1. Checking in to see how you are coping during your wait? With everyday that passes, I know we are one day closer to bringing home our beautiful children. Any news or updates on your paperwork? You can e-mail me anytime at hicksfamilyof5@cinci.rr.com. Love the blog! Michelle

    ReplyDelete